By VICKI AMSINGER
You use this make-ahead sauce on top of buttery cupcakes and lemon sorbet with a few slices of strawberry and you have the perfect dessert for celebrating America!
1/4 cup water
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
3 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup orange juice
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Mix 1/4 cup of water and cornstarch together in a cup. Set aside.
2. Put 1 cup of the fresh blueberries in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, combine the remaining 2 cups of blueberries, orange juice, water and sugar. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.
4. Add the cornstarch slurry and reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 7 minutes or until the sauce is thick. Remove from the heat and add the reserved 1 cup of blueberries and the vanilla.
5. Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until ready to serve.
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350º degrees. Grease cupcake tins.
2. Combine all cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase speed and mix for 2-3 minutes.
3. Pour batter into greased tins filling until about three-quarters full.
4. Bake 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Top will be golden brown.
5. Let cupcakes rest for a minute or two in tins before moving to a cooling rack.