On New Year’s Eve night, my 74-year-old husband began choking during a dinner with our children and grandchildren. Our immediate response was to perform Heimlich, but when he became unconscious and crumpled to the floor, the conventional procedure proved impossible.
Totally unresponsive, he stopped breathing and began turning blue. After checking to find no pulse, we determined he needed CPR.
My 15-year-old granddaughter, a sophomore at Marquette High, confidently stepped in with the words, “I’ve got this.” She administered chest compressions while instructing her dad when to give mouth to mouth.
A series of chest compressions cleared my husband’s airway and he began breathing on his own. Paramedics arrived shortly afterward to stabilize him and take him to the emergency department of a local hospital. He has made a full recovery and is back to his normal routines.
Thanks to Rockwood for offering the CPR course that my granddaughter took last year. She is hesitant to take credit for her quick response but agrees that this letter might encourage other high school students to take advantage of the CPR course that is offered in health classes. You never know when you might need it and as a family, we can attest to the fact that it can save a life.